Friday, April 24, 2009

ANZAC DAY






It is officially ANZAC day in New Zealand. Anzac Day marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand military forces in World War One. On the 25 April every year is the national holiday to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC). Though I believe that it should also be remembered for not just the people who fought and died on the ANZAC side but all the victims of World War One; the soldiers on both sides, nurses, doctors, contentious objectors, and the civilianswomen, men, and children. I remember a book which was read to me as a child of the ANZAC story, I one part it talked about Christmas day when all the solders on both sides put down their guns and ended up playing soccer/football in the snow... It has always stuck with me that they were all people they all had families who loved them and miss/ed them dearly. Least We Forget.


In light of it being ANZAC day I thought perhaps I practice my baking skills today and make ANZAC Cookies :)


The classic ‘Edmonds ANZAC Cookies’ recipe has always been the best version in my opinion



125g flour
1 cup coconut
100g butter
1/2 teaspoon Bicarb of Soda 150g sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon golden syrup
2 tablespoons boiling water

  1. Mix together flour, sugar, coconut and rolled oats. Melt butter and golden syrup.
  2. Dissolve Bicarb soda in the boiling water and add to the butter and golden syrup.
  3. Make a well in the centre of flour, stir in the liquid.
  4. Place in spoonfuls on a greased tray.
  5. Bake 15-20 mins at 180 degrees Celsius.
  6. Let them cool
  7. Then Eat!!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Happy ANZAC day! I have to say, I did not know this holiday existed. However, any holiday that involves specific cookies is good in my book.

    ReplyDelete